Week 15 Story - I've Been Hit by a Truck

Being hit by a truck was probably the most interesting thing in my life, though maybe I just think that because it just happened. Being dead hasn't really been all it was cracked up to be, but then again, the beings I've been dealing with have said that I'm not actually dead, just liminal. It's a weird phrase for that state being dead and alive, so they tell me. These beings call themselves psychopomps, which is another weird phrase they keep throwing around here. They seem to really like those.
Alright, I guess some more explanation is in order. I'm not freaking out at the moment since I've had some time to get over the panic-about-being-dead part, and move on to try-to-understand-what-these-specters-are-saying part. Currently, I'm stuck in an uncomfortably cold hospital waiting room, with no decorations, furniture, doors, or other people, except for the beings that just show up every now and again. The first one I talked with scared me to the point where I think a human body would have urinated, but not having one of those prevented that. Yeah, I have no body. I just sort of float around at the moment.
The beings that come through, these psychopomps, pop up outside of my vision then begin to speak. They have a form like a rotted willow tree, but entirely grey like the world around them (and me). Frightening, but easy to get used to. According to them, I've spent about one real hour here, even though I've experienced about three days. My body is fighting for its life while my mind and soul have slipped here to wait, so as not to bother the body in its fight. That all sounds quaint, but I've been an atheist my whole life, so this was an interesting time to learn about souls. The psychopomps won't answer my questions about what's outside of the room, about religion, about themselves, or really anything in general.
How can I talk with you? You might ask. Well, they won't answer that question either. Maybe this is a dream for you or me. Who can say?
-
Ah, here's one now.
Ah.
It appears I've died.
Suppose I'll see you on the other side.
the archetypal psychopomp, the Grim Reaper
Author's Note: I wanted to write more about psychopomps and how absolutely jarring they would be to see, as well as some things about near-death liminality, to reflect a more modern feeling of Dante's Inferno. As Virgil guides the narrator through the Inferno, we are given the Reader's Digest version of this person's liminal space and how they experienced it, just as Dante does for us.
Bibliography: Dante's Inferno, Untextbook

Comments

  1. Gage,

    Badass story, man. You're writing some great stuff. Each week there's always something new and creative. This is why I've chosen to come back to your blog for my last set of blog comments. You never fail to impart something new on the reader each time. Will you continue to write in the future once this course is done?

    Have a great summer.

    -Lance J.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Introduction to Some Nerd

Week 7 Story: The Dragonfly and the Baobab Tree